Re: Emacs in multiple profiles

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Emacs in multiple profiles
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 08:57:08 +0100

Hi Alex,

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

>> Since nothing runs before site-start.el, I don't see how I could
>> override this definition. My only choice is to use the -Q option on the
>> Emacs command line to bypass site-start.el altogether. But then I don't
>> get the packages from my new profile either.
>
> It's not the only choice.  You can also use "--no-site-file".  It is
> also mentioned at:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Application-Setup.html#Emacs-Packages

Right, but that's not very different from -Q: I get no start-site at all
and thus none of the Guix-installed packages. What I am looking for is a
way to get the packages that I put into the profile from which I started
Emacs.

I suspect that this could only be done via some environment variable,
analogous $PATH and others. Emacs doesn't consult any such variable, and
it seems that Guix didn't introduce one either. At least I didn't find
any.

Is this a decision made for a good reason, or just something "to be
done"? I could image guix-emacs.el consult a Guix-specific "Emacs path"
for constructing the internal load-path.

Konrad.