Re: Frequent git repository corruptions

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Frequent git repository corruptions
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2018 15:07:19 -0400

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <address@hidden> writes:

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
>> Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
>>> Yup, that's what I've found out as well.
>>>
>>> There is an AUR package for memtest86 (no +) on EFI:
>>>
>>>     https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/memtest86-efi/
>
> I stand by my initial pronouncement:
>
>> Say no more :-) That is proprietary software.
>
> Only the old, unmaintained (and notably non-UEFI) version 4 is
> GPL2. Newer versions are mystery meat.[1]

Oh, that's unfortunate :-(

Does anyone know of free software that can test all of the RAM in a
machine and that runs on systems with UEFI?

Failing that, there's 'memtester' which runs as a normal program under
Linux (the kernel).  This method is unable to test RAM that's allocated
to the kernel or to other processes, but if you stop as many services as
possible and run it from a text terminal, it should be able to test most
of the RAM.

We don't yet have 'memtester' in Guix, but it looks like it should be
easy to package.

      Mark