Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance

From: znavko
Subject: Re: hydra.gnu.org off-line for maintenance
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:50:48 +0100 (CET)

Thank you, Ricardo! Your answer is very important.
This command is working now: 'guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm --substitute-urls=https://mirror.guixsd.org', nevertheless I have 504 errors, but some packages are compiling now.
After that I'll try your advise. It's a pity I have not enough time for GuixSD and Guile, but this is very best I've tried from opensource. Here are very  responsive people. When I found how to use IRC through tor or vpn I'll join.
But may be tox group chat?

31. Oct 2018 20:04 by address@hidden:

Hi,

address@hidden writes:
(define %my-services
(modify-services %base-services
(guix-service-type config =>
(guix-configuration
(inherit config)
(substitute-urls (list "https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org <https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org>";
"https://hydra.gnu.org <https://hydra.gnu.org>";
"https://berlin.guixsd.org <https://berlin.guixsd.org>";
))))))

Okay, %my-services is a list of services. Let’s remember this.
(services (cons* ;;(tor-service)
(xfce-desktop-service)
(bluetooth-service)
(modify-services %desktop-services …)
%my-services
));;end of services

Here you’re using cons* on four arguments: a service, another service, a
list of services, and yet another list of services.

This is why you get the error, because you’re creating a nested list of
services and lists of services. When you pay attention to the types you
could come up with an alternative, such as this:

(services (cons* (xfce-desktop-service)
(bluetooth-service)
(append (modify-services %desktop-services …)
%my-services)))

Or you could change %my-services to work on %desktop-services and thus
remove the second “modify-services”.

--
Ricardo

PS: closing parentheses get lonely when they are on a line all by
themselves ;)