Re: WebKit: Failing to play most HTML5 videos

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: WebKit: Failing to play most HTML5 videos
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 12:58:02 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>> Instead we should run getenv to get the location from one
>> of the common environment variables and only fall back to
>> “/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt” if it isn’t set.
>
> You mean add getenv in C, right?

Yes.

> Wouldn't there be a way with environment variables though?  From an executable
> wrapper, or maybe in ./etc/profile.

I haven’t looked if that’s possible.  Users of libcurl are supposed to
set the location of the cert bundle or else have to use the default for
*libcurl* provided at configure time.

This plugin does have a knob to override the location, but I don’t know
how to turn it.  It looks like it’s used as a command line argument, but
nobody uses this plugin on the command line.

If you can find a way that doesn’t involve patching in a getenv call I’d
be happier, but if we can’t figure out another way and the alternative
is to have a broken plugin I’d rather go down the getenv route.

What do you think?

>> Another thing: I found that my browser tab freezes when a video rewinds
>> to loop.  I have gst-libav installed (in addition to all the
>> “gst-plugins-*” packages), so that may be responsible here.
>
> I have the same issue.
> Which browser are you using?

I used epiphany for the test.

--