Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Problem with Tor & IceCat
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 09:59:29 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Archetyp Jung <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Sorry Ludo, but I reinstalled the operating system yesterday. :-(
>>>
>>> Thanks to my customized config.scm, everything works fine here,
>>> including Tor. ;-)
>>>
>>> BTW: I no longer use Tor in GNU IceCat with the Tor™ browser button,
>>> but directly via Proxy DNS when using SOCKS v5.
>>
>> Can you describe this setup?  I would like to use Tor properly, and
>> currently I cannot.  :(
>
> You only need to add (tor-service) to the list of services.  Then tell
> your browser to connect to the SOCKS proxy at localhost:9050.  If you
> use Epiphany or Eolie that would be done through the network settings
> where you can configure GNOME-wide settings.
>
> For Icecat that would be done in Preferences, searching for “proxy”,
> hitting “Settings…” and specifying a manual proxy in the “SOCKS Host”
> line.  Also check the box next to “Proxy DNS when using SOCKS v5”.

Thanks for getting back to me.  So just to verify, using Tor via the Tor
plugin provided in Icecat, is not enough?  I have to manually going into
settings and tinker some settings?  A user mentioned the following a few
days ago, which makes me think that DNS is not being sent to TOR.  When
I said, that using icecat with the tor-service, that I could not connect to
tor hidden services, then he said the following:

   That's concerning to me: it seems to imply that DNS requests are _not_
   being proxied through Tor, which could leak very sensitive information
   to your ISP and other parties.

Was he incorrect in his assumption?  Does the default Icecat + the tor
plugin, and (service tor-service-type), correctly route all icecat
traffic through tor?  How can I check that DNS is not being sent over
HTTP?

Thanks,

Joshua

--