Re: Guix and $XDG_DATA_DIRS

From: HiPhish
Subject: Re: Guix and $XDG_DATA_DIRS
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 08:11:09 +0200

On Friday, 12 April 2019 01:04:02 CEST Luther Thompson wrote:
> Ok, so the profile and search-paths both have the same problem. I'll
> have to dig into the source code to see if I can find a root cause.
> Hopefully in the meantime, someone who knows about this stuff can come
> up with an answer.
>
> Luther

Now that I have looked into it, there are other variables that haven't been
defined as well that I had to define in my .profile file:

export GUIX_LOCPATH="$GUIX_PROFILE/lib/locale"
export INFOPATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"
export CPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/include/":$CPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/":$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$GUIX_PROFILE/share/":$XDG_DATA_DIRS
# SSL certificates (after installing 'nss-certs')
export SSL_CERT_DIR="$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/ssl/certs"
export SSL_CERT_FILE="$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"
export GIT_SSL_CAINFO="$SSL_CERT_FILE"

I don't know if all of these should have been defined by Guix, but I have
listed them anyway. I could live with $XDG_DATA_DIRS not always being up to
date, but now I noticed that `guix environment --ad-hoc whatever` does not
make C libraries available for working on local projects because $CPATH AND
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH are not set.