Re: Help with OpenVPN Plugin for Network Manager

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Help with OpenVPN Plugin for Network Manager
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 08:54:15 +0100

Raghav Gururajan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> The "Services" part of my current system config is the following:
>
> (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
>  %desktop-services))
>
> How should I modify the above to edit Network Manager's Configuration to
> include and enable "network-manager-openvpn" plugin?
>
> I tried adding "(service network-manager-service-type
> (network-manager-configuration (vpn-plugins network-manager-openvpn)))" but I
> got an error that the service is used more than once.

%desktop-services includes a service of the network-manager-service-type
already, which is why you're getting that error.

Instead of adding another service of that type with the intended
configuration, what you can do is change the existing service.

Something like the following should help.

  (modify-services %desktop-services
    (network-manager-service-type
     config => (network-manager-configuration
                (inherit config)
                (vpn-plugins
                 (list network-manager-openvpn)))))

This would replace %desktop-services in your configuration, as what the
modify-services function does, is that %desktop-services (in this case),
and apply the modifications that are described.

So the services part of your configuration would look like:

  (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type)
                   (modify-services %desktop-services
                   (network-manager-service-type
                    config => (network-manager-configuration
                               (inherit config)
                               (vpn-plugins
                                (list network-manager-openvpn)))))))

Chris