Re: Guix System 1.0: No audio

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Guix System 1.0: No audio
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 00:29:01 +0200

On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 05:00:04PM -0500, sirgazil wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed the GNU system with GNOME using the ISO installer
> (https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.0.0.x86_64-linux.iso.xz).
>
> When I play video or audio in the browser or in the desktop, I get no audio.
> The volume controls in the browser and desktop show the sound is not
> disabled. There are no errors about missing codecs or anything like that. The
> media plays, but there is no audio coming out from the speakers (which are
> on). Audio and speakers worked fine in the distro I was using before
> installing GNU with Guix.
>
> Maybe I need additional packages or services?

I do *not* experience this issue on GNOME.

I presume you are using %desktop-services in your configuration.

When you run:

guix environment --ad-hoc alsa-utils
alsamixer

Is the volume turned off or is the sound card muted?  You can mute and
unmute with the M key and select your sound card with the F6 key.

There also is a program `speaker-test` in alsa-utils for basic testing.

Regards,
Florian