Re: About conflicting entries in a profile

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: About conflicting entries in a profile
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 19:59:35 +0200

On Fri, 10 May 2019 18:12:50 -0400
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Julien Lepiller (2019-05-10 08:23:22 +0200) wrote:
>
> > >[…] What I don't get is *why* having two different versions of
> > >``python-attrs`` in the profile is considered an error.  My
> > >understanding was that two different packages in the profile
> > >should be able to depend on different versions of the same library
> > >without problems, since they are referred by its absolute path in
> > >the store so they don't conflict.  I understand that I may not
> > >directly ``guix install`` two versions of the same package
> > >(because the may e.g. put the same entry under
> > >``$GUIX_PROFILE/bin``), but in my case ``python-attrs`` is just a
> > >dependency package which doesn't show up in ``guix package -I``.
> > >
> > >Can anybody shed some light on the issue?  Thanks! […]

Just one more note: Whenever you really NEED to somehow have two
versions of the same package installed or two packages with conflicting
propagated inputs, a solution is to install them in two different
profiles:

# Install latest guile in standard profile:
$ guix package -i guile

# Install older version into different profile:
$ guix package --profile=/home/me/test-profile -i address@hidden

See the manual for details :-)

Björn