Re: guix system init with mounted btrfs

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: guix system init with mounted btrfs
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 14:42:05 +0200

Matt,

[If you sent two mails because your first didn't immediately arrive: it was probably held for moderation since you appear to be new here. Welcome!]

Matt Huszagh wrote:
I'm encountering the error "rmdir: Device or resource busy" when I attempt to perform guix system init on a mount point that has btrfs
subvolumes.

So something's (preventatively?) deleting a directory that has something mounted over or in it, or is a subdirectory itself (although that seems unlikely in this layout).

I had a dig around, didn't find any likely culprits, but this could be happening anywhere. Does ‘guix system init’ print anything else?

Don't waste *too* much time debugging your error message, though. Guix System doesn't have any code to handle fancy subvolume swappery like this. I'm afraid you'll have to drop the @-scheme entirely.

mount -o subvol=@guixsd,$o_btrfs LABEL=btrfs /mnt
mount -o subvol=@gnu,$o_btrfs LABEL=btrfs /mnt/gnu

The two above are especially problematic: Guix's GRUB looks only for /gnu/store/…-linux/, which is now two indirections away.

Guix System *probably* supports⁰ ‘in-place’ subvolumes like

 btrfs subvol create /gnu/store

only because it doesn't need to support them: they're just directories.

mount -o subvol=@grub,$o_btrfs LABEL=btrfs /mnt/boot/grub

Does GRUB support magically finding itself elsewhere like this? Does this work on other distributions? If so, do you know how?
You're damn right that this needs to be improved. Hands welcome :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: At least I think I did so once but never made use of its subvolliness, so I stopped doing so.