Re: checking for updates system-wide(was: very long subject)

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: checking for updates system-wide(was: very long subject)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 21:27:58 +0200

Le 15 octobre 2019 19:12:33 GMT+02:00, Reza Alizadeh Majd <address@hidden> a
écrit :
>Hi Guix,
>
>adding the package names to package list in system configuration file,
>we
>could
>install these packages system wide and they will be available for all
>users.
>
>for packages that are located in user profile, we could check for
>available
>updates
>using `guix pull`.  but I didn't find any similar concept for system
>wide
>installed
>packages.
>
>is it possible to check for system wide installed packages without
>reconfiguring the
>system?

Hi Alizadeh,

Good to see some interaction from PantherX :)

I'm not sure I understand your question, so let me rephrase and please tell me
if it's not what you wanted to ask. When you upgrade the distribution with guix
pull, you can get a list of what could be upgraded using, say, guix package -n
-u. Your question was, I think, how to do that for globally available packages.

If that is your question, the answer is quite simple. The set of globally
installed packages is installed in a separate profile from the user profile.
You can use the same command as before, specifying that other profile, to get
the same result, with globally installed packages:

guix package -p /run/current-system/profile -n -u

HTH