Translating texinfo commands in Guix manual (was: Re: How to build only

From: Rafael Fontenelle
Subject: Translating texinfo commands in Guix manual (was: Re: How to build only Guix Manual)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 03:18:58 -0300

For whom it may interest.

Em ter, 3 de set de 2019 às 08:33, Julien Lepiller
<address@hidden> escreveu:

> Le 3 septembre 2019 13:08:14 GMT+02:00, Rafael Fontenelle <address@hidden> a
> écrit :
> >Em ter, 3 de set de 2019 às 05:16, Julien Lepiller
> ><address@hidden> escreveu:
> >
> >Doubt: is it safe to replace @pxref and @xref with @ref?  These two
> >macros prefix an untranslatable "see" and "See", respectively, before
> >the linked section. So I am considering using "veja @ref" and "Veja
> >@ref" (veja = "see" translation) instead.
>
> Yes, other translators have done that. It sometimes issues a warning, but
> it's generally safe I think.

I learned how to translate the see/See <link> from @pxref and @xref.
First, texinfo_document has to be translated to the target language
[1]. Second, make sure to include "@documentlanguage
<target_language_code>" when translating the following string:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:7
msgid "@documentencoding UTF-8"
msgstr ""

For example, for Brazilian Portuguese, I have translated to:

#. type: Plain text
#: doc/guix.texi:7
msgid "@documentencoding UTF-8"
msgstr ""
"@documentencoding UTF-8\n"
"@documentlanguage pt_BR"

Now, using @pxref, @xref and any other related texinfo command are
translated to the target language in the resulting Guix manual.

[1] https://translationproject.org/domain/texinfo_document.html