Re: bug#26608: channels.scm supporting substitutes

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: bug#26608: channels.scm supporting substitutes
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 14:56:50 +0100

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 13:40, Nome Grey <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Yes, as mentioned in my previous email I am working with the channels.scm
>> file used by 'guix pull'.
>>
>> I installed a foreign distribution of guix 1.0.1 i686 using the binary
>> installation steps from the manual.

You do not have have to use all the code you found in the bug reports.
It should work out-of-box with your current version of Guix.

The channels are used with "guix pull -C /path/to/your/file.scm" and
'file.scm' respects the syntax presented here [1].

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Channels.html#Channels

>> I am currently running guix aca2bf5 but have a long-running process to
>> downgrade to 1b6c5e8 in order to find a substitute for ungoogled-chromium 78

To see if the substitute is available or not, the command "guix
weather" fits your need [2].

[2]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-weather.html#Invoking-guix-weather

However, the package ungoogled-chromium 78 is not available for the
system i686. You probably need to build it yourself (ressource
consuming) with "guix build ungoogled-chromium".

I am not sure that channel will help to fetch the result of any build.
Channel helps to add more recipes about how to build packages. And I
am not aware of other public substitutes server than
https://ci.guix.gnu.org.

Hope that helps,
simon