Re: jfs, jfsutils?

From: Michael Zucchi
Subject: Re: jfs, jfsutils?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 16:56:36 +1030

Well it failed in 'make check' so I stopped going further as I didn't want some other fault causing a mess.

The critical detail is that my kernel has "CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION" turned off.

In my original query I included some output from tests/challenge.log:

warning: authentication and authorization of substitutes disabled!
@ build-started /home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/store/wr9c2ddgxlgifni61caxd2ain8b7rqv5-guile-bootstrap-2.0.drv - x86_64-linux /home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/var/log/guix/drvs/wr//9c2ddgxlgifni61caxd2ain8b7rqv5-guile-bootstrap-2.0.drv.bz2 8592 while setting up the build environment: executing `/home/notzed/src/guix/test-tmp/store/f0ips0sdyhnhlfdqayvcbddqlijk7iid-bash': Exec format error

gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm:128 uses the 'i686-linux' directory for 'x86_64-linux' architecture, and gnu/packages/bootstrap/i686-linux has 32-bit binaries (obviously!).

I tried adding a x86_64 block to %bootstrap-executables and creating softlinks in gnu/packages/bootstrap/x86_64 but most tests want to download them from git.savannah.gnu.org, and tests/derivations.scm still tries to run the 32-bit binaries anyway.

On 31/12/19 11:12 am, Josh Marshall wrote:
I would expect guix to bootstrap and run on x86_64.  I thought it worked on my systems.  I'd be interested to hear more about this.

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 18:38 Michael Zucchi <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 12/12/19 10:27 am, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:

    > If you're completely new to Guix that might sound daunting, but
    it's
    > honestly not that hard and you should get plenty of help on the
    > mailing list and/or on IRC.

    Sorry Tobias, but I haven't been able to progress any further on
    this.
    As far as I can tell the guix boostrap process doesn't support
    amd64-only systems so although I can compile it, it doesn't pass
    'make
    check' and so I didn't try further.  32-bit executables are
    disabled in
    my kernel and bootstrap.scm just assumes they work based on the
    architecture.

    I asked on IRC but I'm in the 'wrong' timezone to get any useful

    Also, sort of related and I know it's not guix's fault but it's
    somewhat
    difficult to find anything useful about guix using any search engine.

    Regards,