Re: ungoogled-chromium aborts on foreign distro via LTSP (Linux Terminal

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: ungoogled-chromium aborts on foreign distro via LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 17:32:31 +0100

Hello Marius,

Thanks! the issue was related to lack of user namaspaces

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> The same updated version of ungoogled-chromium from Guix on a Debian 10
>> laptop does not have this problem, so it's specific to the LTSP
>> environment I guess

no: my laptop had user namespaces enabled :-)

>> The chromium binary from Debian 10 on the same LTSP environment does not
>> have the same problem, it works

so the Debian binary is working without user namespaces?

>> Any suggestion on where to look for problems here, please?
>
> The (ungoogled-) Chromium sandbox relies on user namespaces support in
> the kernel.  I guess `guix environment -C` does not work either?

no, "guix environment -C" was not working and *still* does not
work... but I'm almost sure it depends on something else, more on this
in another thread

> Debian disables user namespaces by default, try this command to enable
> it:
>
>  sudo sysctl -w kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1

it worked, I made it persistent also [1]

Thanks again! Gio'

[1] sudo su -c "echo 'kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1' >
/etc/sysctl.d/00-local-userns.conf"

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures