Re: What processor features does Guix support on i686?

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: What processor features does Guix support on i686?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 17:01:29 -0400

On Sun, May 02, 2021 at 12:56:45PM -0400, Joshua Branson wrote:
> I'm kind of curious, if I were to compile my own linux kernel, and I
> could someone select a newer processor family, would that make my kernel
> a little more faster?  Or would it just make my kernel image a little
> smaller?  Also my laptop is a Lenovo T400.    So it doesn't exactly have
> NEW features.  :)

Just to clarify, these kernel configuration options are for when one
builds the kernel for "i686-linux" (Guix parlance) or "i386" (Linux
parlance). This means 32-bit Intel-compatible.

The T400 has a Core 2 Duo 64-bit procesor, so these options won't apply
for you. That's "x86_64-linux" or "amd64", respectively.

However, yes, you can build a custom kernel to eke out some performance
improvements.