Re: Anyone running Guix on the pinephone?

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: Anyone running Guix on the pinephone?
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:11:47 +0300

On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 10:01:39PM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> I see the cookbook now mentions the possibility of running Guix on a
> pinephone... is anyone actually doing it?  Mind posting your experiences
> and setup?
>
> (Doesn't have to be as a phone necessarily... I'm more interested in
> using it as a lightweight portable computer.  But a phone would be nice
> too.)

I have a pinephone that I play with occasionally. I haven't yet
installed Guix (package manager, not planning on OS any time soon) on
it, I mostly want to see what I can get to work without worrying about
integrating packages from Guix too.

The display is 720x1440, but that's a bit of a lie since somewhere
between 600 and 700 pixels are lost to the on-screen keyboard. (I have
the KDE plasma mobile one). I tried setting up KMail for email on the
phone and I almost got it set up, but I don't have an existing config to
copy over and setting it up on the phone is difficult with the
aforementioned screen size. It's running wayland so I can't just use
'ssh -X' to pull it up on my desktop and setup kmail.

I will agree with everyone that the phone is getting better with each
incremental software release and feels faster with each passing week.

On the other side, as a more computer oriented device, I love ssh-ing
into my phone and treating it like a normal computer. Unfortunately I
had to give my KVM switch to my kids (they're now switching between my
old desktop and an N64) so I haven't been able to hook up the pinephone
to my monitor yet.

As a last thing, I have used my kickstarter-era pine64 as a build
machine for Guix for many years now and I found that under load it's
more stable running Debian than running Guix.