Re: No ethernet service during install

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: No ethernet service during install
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 17:38:54 -0400

On 8/2/21 11:15 AM, Leo Famulari wrote:> I believe this is the Linux configuration option / driver:

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/BNX2.html

However, since it appears that this driver is not free software,
linux-libre will have disabled it and it won't be supported within GNU
Guix.

To be unambiguous, GNU Guix as a project, on principle,[1][2] does not support or recommend non-free software.

By those same principles, since `guix` itself is free software, you have "the freedom to run the program as [you] wish, for any purpose."[1] In that sense, Guix "supports" any software you instruct it to install: it does not attempt any technical measures to second-guess your decision.

Perhaps that should be obvious, but of course there are some systems which do restrict their users from installing and running software that the system's developers have not approved.

My understanding is that some people do use Guix to install non-free software: I'm not one of them, but I'm confident you'll find them if you go looking for them. You won't find them here, though, out of respect for the Guix project's principled decision never to recommend installing non-free software.

I'm sure the outcome we'd all prefer would be to have a free driver for your ethernet card! Unfortunately I don't know anything about that.

-Philip

[1]: https://gnu.tools/en/documents/social-contract/
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html