Non deterministic package

From: phodina
Subject: Non deterministic package
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 19:14:16 +0000

Hi,

I came across a package in the Guix repository which fails to build. The
package in question here is rust-brotli-sys-0.3. So the obvious question comes
up. How does this happen?

I just ran =guix build rust-brotli-sys= with the following output:

phase `reset-gzip-timestamps' succeeded after 0.0 seconds
starting phase `compress-documentation'
phase `compress-documentation' succeeded after 0.0 seconds
guix build: error: derivation
`/gnu/store/kf8kwl7yn8jqpwc9p97bw8vs5g5bvas4-rust-brotli-sys-0.3.2.drv' may not
be deterministic: output
`/gnu/store/yrrdr6rrc1s4b9lf7wz40c2gnv5kvxff-rust-brotli-sys-0.3.2' differs
Also this is my guix channel:

guix:
repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
branch: master
commit: b95fb85f593d377864fc1bfb3c118e54d03783be

I tried to run the build with the flag --check and multiple rounds, but got the
same result.
So could it be caused by not running =./pre-inst-env guix build --rounds=2
<PKG>= when submitting the patch?

Or when somebody updates some pkg that this pkg depends on and does not run
=./pre-inst-env guix --refresh --list-dependent= and then check the dependent
pkgs?

Could also sombody please share what kind of CI pipeline is there implemented
on applying the patch on the mainter's side?

Thanks
Petr

PS: Yes, I do have more questions regading how Guix works lately. I tried to
search the mailing list but haven't found answers to them