Re: how can I find the terminal output

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: how can I find the terminal output
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2022 11:06:56 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, 15 Apr 2022 at 20:15, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
> I entered "guix shell" in the terminal,
> and it created an empty environment.

Empty environment means that nothing had been added, i.e., you have what
is defined by the current PATH from where you call “guix shell”.

> How can I find now the terminal output in order to find the empty
> environment and to delete it?

I do not understand what you mean here.  Once in the environment “guix
shell”, just type exit to return to the original environment.

All the extra files required to create the environment are still in the
store, so if you run again “guix shell”, then the creation of the
environment will be really quick.

Note that if you run “guix pull” between two “guix shell”, you have no
guarantee that the same shell will be created.

At the next garbage collection (for instance, guix gc -F 5G), all these
extra files will be removed from your store, possibly.

> What are the general terminal commands in order to read the history of
> the outputs?

It depends on your shell.  I guess you are using the default shell –
which should be bash – from your Linux distro.  Therefore, all the
history is in ~/.bash_history.

Well, I do not know how Bash manages the history of concurrent
sessions.  Other said, if you have 2 terminals open, i.e., two Bash
sessions, which is the session recorded?  But that’s unrelated to “guix
shell”. ;-)

Hope that helps,
simon