Re: managing waiting patches

From: Nicolas Graves
Subject: Re: managing waiting patches
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:02:04 +0200

On 2022-08-09 22:54, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> This was discussed recently on guix-devel and I hope we can collectively
> improve on that.  The new teams that we devised (see ‘etc/teams.scm’)
> should help, though we have yet to document them and publicize them.

Thanks for your answer, I'll check that.

> I don’t have any great suggestion here—you already seem to be doing
> things rationally.  In general, short, to-the-point patch series are
> more likely to be reviewed quickly, so that’s one strategy you can adopt
> here.  And then you can locally keep branches for each part of the
> broader patch series, possibly rebasing them until they’re applied.

I finally went for the branching strategy, hence my patch frenzy trying
to sort everything I wrote in well-ordered branches in one repo. Takes
some time but I'll close to that.

> You could send an updated patch series with the new version as v2; that
> would also serve as a reminder for reviewers.
>
> Using ./etc/teams.scm you can also look for people working in this area
> that you could ping.
>
> Last, if you’re on IRC, you’re welcome to occasionally ping people
> there.

Thanks for the advice. Not an IRC user for now, maybe I will come
someday.

Is there a requirement to help with patch reviewing? I feel I can tackle
python or rust packages unless they are weird, I need not to spend too
much time on that, but if it's just advising new beginners (I'm myself
a 9 month old Guix user but went cold turkey on my main machine, while
my first patches were a nightmare, now I hope/believe they are quite
clean) or trying to patch and build locally for <1h a day, with
proper guidelines I might be able to help here.

--
Best regards,
Nicolas Graves