Re: program prepared with `guix pack` unusable by end users

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: program prepared with `guix pack` unusable by end users
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 19:28:25 +0200

> > IMHO yes, the pack output does not work as expected.  That's the
> > definition of a bug.
>
> I disagree.  That Python gives precedence to USERSITE compared to
> site-packages and GUIX_PYTHONPATH is by design, so that users can
> override system provided libraries such as those by Guix.  It used to be
> the other way around, and it caused all sort of problems such as
> virtualenv not working as expected on Guix.

Perhaps the best solution would be to
* have Python interpreter itself give precedence to user site packages but
* have user site disabled (or enabled with lower precedence) by default
  for Python applications.

Consider the creation of wrapper script for python programs as it is
done now[1]. Is there currently any application that would behave
incorrectly with PYTHONNOUSERSITE exported as 1 and
`~/.local/lib/python<PYTHON-VERSION>/site-packages/` included in
GUIX-PYTHONPATH after the other paths? If there is, perhaps it would be
at least easier to make a workaround for this single application?

[1]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/build/python-build-system.scm?id=176a501360699581b49f19ffde1ea3bb6285b8be#n225

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

Meet Kraków saints!           #0: saint Albert Chmielowski
Poznaj świętych krakowskich!  #0: święty Albert Chmielowski
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Chmielowski
-- (sig_end)