Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Icecat and ungoogled chromium in a container
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2023 18:04:56 +0100

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
> would it be a significant improvement for security if I used
> Icecat and ungoogled chromium always in a container?
> (I am using Icecat with the Tor browser)

I’m not sure about security of a container there — it could help if
there’s an unpatched vulnerability in icecat, but not so much otherwise.

But what can already help a lot is having a separate profile. Here’s an
example script that creates a locked-down profile on the fly:

https://github.com/hyphanet/browser/blob/main/freenetbrowser.in#L177

Best wishes,
Arne
--