Re: streamlining custom package development

From: Marek Paśnikowski
Subject: Re: streamlining custom package development
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2023 11:05:03 +0000

> This is tedious. Is there a way to automate this a bit more?

Only slightly.  Do remember, that Guix is purely functional.  Your pain is with
the chain of dependencies.

I recently went through a similar ordeal while packaging an update to Nix.  I
suggest to:
1. look up the dependency list on the program's or library's documentation;
2. add the dependencies to the input lists;
3. attempt to build the target package and write the package definitions for
the missing dependecies;
4. keep iterating the above until completion.

It should help you to think of this iteration as a Test Driven Development
process.  The guix build  is your test suite, which you want to get green.

I also recommend to use the -v3 option - it will allow you to see the log
immediately.

Best Regards,
Marek Pasnikowski