Re: streamlining custom package development

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: streamlining custom package development
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 14:31:34 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, 03 Mar 2023 at 10:44, Przemysław Kamiński <cgenie@pm.me> wrote:

> This is tedious. Is there a way to automate this a bit more?

Nothing I am aware of.  Because Guix relies on some LTS, there is no
easy way, to my knowledge, to achieve what you would like.  Somehow you
have to package by yourself and manually your package “ghc-stuff”. :-)

> cat <stuff>/stuff.cabal | guix import hackage -s -r
>
> but it complains with
>
> failed to download "/run/user/1000/guix-file.0hKo9A" from
> "https://hackage.haskell.org/package/stuff/stuff-0.1.0.0.tar.gz";

That’s expected.  Well, IIUC, you are interested only in the
dependencies and not the package itself.  Maybe it misses an option to
“guix import hackage” for excluding the direct package of the Cabal
file.

> then throws a bunch of "Syntax error: unexpected end of input" and then
> spits out the manifest, but only for my <stuff> code so some packages
> are still missing and I need to add them manually.

It is hard to tell more without more specific details. :-)

Maybe could you share some more details?

Cheers,
simon