Re: Execute startxbmap at login to map Ctrl Caps to Escape

From: Gary Johnson
Subject: Re: Execute startxbmap at login to map Ctrl Caps to Escape
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 11:05:48 -0400

Rodrigo Morales <moralesrodrigo1100@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The context
> =============
>
>   8<---------------------------------------------------------------->8
>                         ...TEXT ELIDED...
>   8<---------------------------------------------------------------->8
>
>   In Guix, I'm using Emacs with EXWM and I want to map Caps Lock to
>   Escape as I did in Arch in Linux. I don't necessarily want to
>   execute `startx' or `xinitrc'. I'm happy with whatever solution that
>   guarantee that the `setxbmap' command is executed.
>

> 2 The question
> ==============
>
>   What's the Guix way to map Caps Lock to Escape?

Hi Rodrigo,

  A thoroughly Guix way to do this would probably be to just set the
  `keyboard-layout` property in your operating system record like so:

```system.scm
(operating-system
 (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "emacs"))
 ...)
```

This should update the keymap at your tty sessions, but I'm not sure if
it will propagate into your X session. Perhaps someone else here has
tried it?

I also run EXWM as my window manager on Guix System, and I've addressed
this keymapping issue by just inserting it into my $HOME/.xsession file
like so:

```.xsession
# Change cursor to left arrow
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

# Set keyboard repeat rate
xset r rate 200 60

# Change Caps Lock to Ctrl
setxkbmap -option "ctrl:nocaps"
setxkbmap -option "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

# Start Emacs with the exwm script:
exwm
```

Have fun and happy hacking!
  Gary

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.