Re: Docker image format with services

From: Jack Hill
Subject: Re: Docker image format with services
Date: Tue, 2 May 2023 14:53:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 30 Apr 2023, Markku Korkeala wrote:

Hi all,

just joined here, so I couldn't reply to the actual actual email, I copied the below message from the archive to this email

On 4/18/23 02:05, Jack Hill wrote:
I then load that into docker: `docker load < /gnu/store/…tar.gz`, and run it with `docker run guix`.

So far, so good. However, ssh-daemon and postgres don't start. If I then get a shell in the running container with `docker exec -ti … /bin/sh`, I can see that `herd status` reports that those services are stopped. Trying to start either service fails:

```
sh-5.1# herd start ssh-daemon
herd: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'loopback':
Throw to key `%exception' with args `("#<&netlink-response-error errno: 1>")'.
sh-5.1# herd start postgres
herd: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'loopback':
Throw to key `%exception' with args `("#<&netlink-response-error errno: 1>")'.

I tried something similar and got the same error message, though I used podman instead of docker. But anyways, I was able to get it to work by building the container image with --network flag:

guix system image --network --image-type=docker filename.scm

Hope this helps.

That does help, thanks!

I used the same scm file, including the (shared-network? #t) image filed, but added the --network cli switch, and the images are working for me now too. I thought that the cli switch and field were supposed to do the same thing.

I guess this is a bug. However, I'm not sure yet if it's in my understand or in Guix 😁.

Thanks!
Jack