Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Sun, 7 May 2023 08:24:53 -0700

Hi Gottfried,

On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 5:12 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Am I the only one who has MATE-Desktop?

There are surely others besides you. (For example, I think the Linux
creator may use it, although not on Guix.) It would make sense to wait
for more responses before you take any drastic actions.

As for GNOME, I love the looks and all its integration but GDM does a
lot of things (like suspend my servers). I'm not sure how well MATE,
which I think is GNOME 2, works with newer versions of GDM. You could
try another "display manager" like lightdm. They should really be
called graphical login managers.

Personally, I got so tired of all the changes in GNOME that I now use
EXWM again, but I do not recommend it for anyone except hardy Linux
(and Emacs) lovers.

Kind regards
Felix