Re: pypi import certs issues

From: James R. Haigh (+ML.GNU.Guix subaddress)
Subject: Re: pypi import certs issues
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 12:55:57 +0100

Hi c4droid,

At Z+0800=2023-05-08Mon23:55:06, c4droid sent:
> […]

You appear to have sent an email from the future.  That time is currently over
4 hours into the future.  Note that certificate validation relies upon correct
clock synchronisation, so without even looking into the details of what is
going on with Guix, simply correcting your system clock time may in fact
resolve your issue afterall.

        Looking at the Received headers on your email, I notice that your email
was in fact sent a few hours in the past:–

Mon, 08 May 2023 15:55:05 +0800
Mon, 08 May 2023 03:55:26 -0400
Mon, 08 May 2023 03:55:29 -0400
Mon, 08 May 2023 03:55:31 -0400
Mon, 08 May 2023 09:55:59 +0200
Mon, 08 May 2023 09:56:02 +0200

These are all broadly the same time: UTC+0=07:55.  Therefore, at the time of
sending, the timestamp in the Date header of your email was precisely 8 hours
into the future.  Its timezone is also UTC+8, which indicates that you may have
actually confused local time with system time when setting the time.  If you
set your system time to UTC+8 and then on top of that your local time adds
another 8 hours, at UTC+0=07:55, UTC+8+8=23:55.  That seems like a plausible
explanation.

        Furthermore, a common cause for system time being set to local time is
if you dual-boot with another operating system that does not respect the system
time being independent of local time.  I have heard that this is a common
problem for those who dual-boot with Microsoft Windows – at least it was in the
days of XP.  I don't know whether it is still a common issue in newer versions,
but if you have such a dual-boot and this keeps happening, that would be a good
first place to investigate to try to fix the issue.

Kind regards,
James.
--
Wealth doesn't bring happiness, but poverty brings sadness.
Sent from Debian with Claws Mail, using email subaddressing as an alternative