Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 15:32:42 +0000

Hi,
thanks for your help.

How can I install "lightdm" instead of "gdm"

1.
First I guess to install:

lightdm
lightdm-gtk-greeter 2.0.8

2.
changes in my conif.scm:
my config.scm:

; This is an operating system configuration generated
;; by the graphical installer.

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-package-modules cups scanner)
(use-service-modules cups desktop networking ssh xorg virtualization)

(operating-system
  (locale "de_DE.utf8")
  (timezone "Europe/Berlin")
  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "de"))
  (host-name "Tuxedo")
  (users (cons* (user-account
                  (name "gfp")
                  (comment "Gfp")
                  (group "users")
                  (home-directory "/home/gfp")
                  (supplementary-groups
                    '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video" "libvirt")))
                %base-user-accounts))
  (packages
    (append
      (list (specification->package "nss-certs"))
      %base-packages))
  (services
    (append
      (list (service mate-desktop-service-type)
            (service enlightenment-desktop-service-type)
                        (service cups-service-type
                                (cups-configuration
                                        (web-interface? #t)
                                        (extensions (list cups-filters
hplip))))
                        (service openssh-service-type)
            (service tor-service-type)
            (set-xorg-configuration
              (xorg-configuration
               (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
            (service libvirt-service-type
                     (libvirt-configuration
                      (unix-sock-group "libvirt")
                      (tls-port "16555")))
            (service virtlog-service-type
                     (virtlog-configuration
                      (max-clients 1000))))

       (modify-services %desktop-services
         (guix-service-type
                config => (guix-configuration
                  (inherit config)
(extra-options (list "--gc-keep-derivations=yes" "--gc-keep-outputs=yes"))))
         (sane-service-type _ => sane-backends))))

  (bootloader
    (bootloader-configuration
      (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
      (targets (list "/boot/efi"))
      (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))
  (swap-devices
   (list (swap-space
          (target (uuid "51d5cd20-4513-4a02-9e35-df4338eccaa0")))))
  (file-systems
    (cons* (file-system
             (mount-point "/boot/efi")
             (device (uuid "BB77-FE3B" 'fat32))
             (type "vfat"))
           (file-system
             (mount-point "/")
             (device
               (uuid "4fb0ed7c-61ab-45eb-be0b-ff527b320e6d"
                     'ext4))
             (type "ext4"))
           %base-file-systems))
  (initrd-modules (cons "virtio_scsi"    ; Needed to find the disk
                        %base-initrd-modules)))

3.
where to put that?

(service lightdm-service-type)

4. or this one?
A more elaborate example making use of the VNC capabilities and enabling more features and verbose logs could look like:

(service lightdm-service-type
         (lightdm-configuration
          (allow-empty-passwords? #t)
          (xdmcp? #t)
          (vnc-server? #t)
          (vnc-server-command
           (file-append tigervnc-server "/bin/Xvnc"
                        "  -SecurityTypes None"))
          (seats
           (list (lightdm-seat-configuration
                  (name "*")
                  (user-session "ratpoison"))))))
I don’t want ratpoison, so what should I put there instead?

I copied the "Date Type" in order to make it easier for you to see, what I would need.

Data Type: lightdm-configuration

    Available lightdm-configuration fields are:

    lightdm (default: lightdm) (type: file-like)

        The lightdm package to use.
    allow-empty-passwords? (default: #f) (type: boolean)

        Whether users not having a password set can login.
    debug? (default: #f) (type: boolean)

        Enable verbose output.
    xorg-configuration (type: xorg-configuration)

The default Xorg server configuration to use to generate the Xorg server start script. It can be refined per seat via the xserver-command of the <lightdm-seat-configuration> record, if desired.
    greeters (type: list-of-greeter-configurations)

        The LightDM greeter configurations specifying the greeters to use.
    seats (type: list-of-seat-configurations)

        The seat configurations to use. A LightDM seat is akin to a user.
    xdmcp? (default: #f) (type: boolean)

        Whether a XDMCP server should listen on port UDP 177.
    xdmcp-listen-address (type: maybe-string)

The host or IP address the XDMCP server listens for incoming connections. When unspecified, listen on for any hosts/IP addresses.
    vnc-server? (default: #f) (type: boolean)

        Whether a VNC server is started.
    vnc-server-command (type: file-like)

The Xvnc command to use for the VNC server, it’s possible to provide extra options not otherwise exposed along the command, for example to disable security:

        (vnc-server-command (file-append tigervnc-server "/bin/Xvnc"
                                         " -SecurityTypes None" ))

Or to set a PasswordFile for the classic (unsecure) VncAuth mechanism:

        (vnc-server-command (file-append tigervnc-server "/bin/Xvnc"
" -PasswordFile /var/lib/lightdm/.vnc/passwd"))

The password file should be manually created using the vncpasswd command. Note that LightDM will create new sessions for VNC users, which means they need to authenticate in the same way as local users would.
    vnc-server-listen-address (type: maybe-string)

The host or IP address the VNC server listens for incoming connections. When unspecified, listen for any hosts/IP addresses.
    vnc-server-port (default: 5900) (type: number)

        The TCP port the VNC server should listen to.
    extra-config (default: ()) (type: list-of-strings)

Extra configuration values to append to the LightDM configuration file.
----------------------------------

Data Type: lightdm-gtk-greeter-configuration

    Available lightdm-gtk-greeter-configuration fields are:

    lightdm-gtk-greeter (default: lightdm-gtk-greeter) (type: file-like)

        The lightdm-gtk-greeter package to use.
assets (default: (adwaita-icon-theme gnome-themes-extra hicolor-icon-theme)) (type: list-of-file-likes)

The list of packages complementing the greeter, such as package providing icon themes.
    theme-name (default: "Adwaita") (type: string)

        The name of the theme to use.
    icon-theme-name (default: "Adwaita") (type: string)

        The name of the icon theme to use.
    cursor-theme-name (default: "Adwaita") (type: string)

        The name of the cursor theme to use.
    cursor-theme-size (default: 16) (type: number)

        The size to use for the cursor theme.
    allow-debugging? (type: maybe-boolean)

        Set to #t to enable debug log level.
    background (type: file-like)

        The background image to use.
    at-spi-enabled? (default: #f) (type: boolean)

Enable accessibility support through the Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (AT-SPI). a11y-states (default: (contrast font keyboard reader)) (type: list-of-a11y-states)

        The accessibility features to enable, given as list of symbols.
    reader (type: maybe-file-like)

        The command to use to launch a screen reader.
    extra-config (default: ()) (type: list-of-strings)

Extra configuration values to append to the LightDM GTK Greeter configuration file.

I don’t know what "seat-configuration" means

Data Type: lightdm-seat-configuration

    Available lightdm-seat-configuration fields are:

    name (type: seat-name)

The name of the seat. An asterisk (*) can be used in the name to apply the seat configuration to all the seat names it matches.
    user-session (type: maybe-string)

The session to use by default. The session name must be provided as a lowercase string, such as "gnome", "ratpoison", etc.
    type (default: local) (type: seat-type)

        The type of the seat, either the local or xremote symbol.
    autologin-user (type: maybe-string)

        The username to automatically log in with by default.
    greeter-session (default: lightdm-gtk-greeter) (type: greeter-session)

The greeter session to use, specified as a symbol. Currently, only lightdm-gtk-greeter is supported.
    xserver-command (type: maybe-file-like)

        The Xorg server command to run.
    session-wrapper (type: file-like)

        The xinitrc session wrapper to use.
    extra-config (default: ()) (type: list-of-strings)

Extra configuration values to append to the seat configuration section.
Kind regards

Gottfried