Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 09:24:18 -0700

Hi Gottfried,

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> How can I install "lightdm" instead of "gdm"

I have never used lightdm but I think it is reasonably popular. You
may wish to wait for more responses before making such a drastic
change.

Have you tried switching into regular X.org (or into Wayland) using
the little sessions sprocket in the GDM login screen?

As for lightdm, the Guix reference manual offers an example
configuration here. [1] You would probably also want to remove the
gdm-service-type from %desktop-services with something like this:

(services
  (append
    (list

      [...]

      (service lightdm-service-type))

    (modify-services %desktop-services
      (delete gdm-service-type))))

That was typed by hand and is untested, but you can see a more general
example here. [2]

Kind regards
Felix

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/en/manual/devel/en/html_node/X-Window.html#lightdm