Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 14:23:19 +0000

Hi,
thanks for help.

The link above has instructions. I think you can select the Classic
view via the little session gear in the GDM login screen.

I didn’t see any link above, only underneath for gnome-classic.

I remember from an earlier distro, that I looked at gnome-classic,
but it is like gnome. No much difference.

MATE is nice, I prefer it instead of Gnome, because I had many problems with Gnome. If you update a Gnome-shell-extension then the whole desktop breaks down and only in uninstalling it the graphical desktop is useable again.
I prefer kde plasma.

It seems to me, after using Guix for 1 year, that packages for developers like Emacs are very well maintained.

But others like the different desktops have constantly problems and you can not use everything on those desktops. only the basics are working. But they don’t work well with all the additional add-ons.

In other distros like manjaro, endeavour I remember the desktops and they are working well with all the add-ons, but in Guix it is different.

Probably there is not enough time and interest for the developers of Guix to deal with the desktops. They deal more with the packages for scientific use and not so much with those packages for the daily normal users.

Kind regards

Gottfried