Re: MATE Desktop fails

From: Gottfried
Subject: Re: MATE Desktop fails
Date: Tue, 9 May 2023 21:26:21 +0000

Hi,

thanks for your thoughts.

I would like to stay with GNU Guix if possible,

but it takes a lot of time at the moment,

and I am not pleased with it, because I don’t want to spend all my spare time with hacking Guix.

If I manage to install several (may be 3) Desktops
I would be happy, that’s my aim for the moment.

Then I could always switch the desktops and choose the one, which is working, in case the others don’t work for my needs.

Then I would be on the save side, to at least be able to work with Guix System.

The enlightenment desktop doesn’t work well.
Now the MATE desktop can’t use an additional monitor besides the laptop, which I would need.
So I have to install a 3rd desktop, hopefully it will work.

I started to learn Emacs some month ago, but it takes a lot of time, and I am not able to use your approach with EXWM because I don’t have the time to study computer science/Informatik.

I am using Emacs on a low level, and I started to use org-mode to get a certain order with some files. Of course Emacs is very good and I would like to learn to use it little by little.

Some of us have higher hopes. Personally, I believe Guix has the
potential to be the next Debian.

I also share that hope, because Debian works well, I simply left it because I want GNU and a rolling release distro.

I would be satisfied if Guix System manages to use some desktops on a basic level, simply to use it for the daily needs. I don’t need more. So I am learning to be satisfied with the basics.

It would be interesting if the gdm display manager in MATE desktop would work, if somebody updates the MATE desktop to the version 1.27 (now 1.24.1).

Kind regards

Gottfried