Re: Replace official Guix in home-channels-service-type

From: Timo Wilken
Subject: Re: Replace official Guix in home-channels-service-type
Date: Wed, 10 May 2023 02:22:30 +0200

Hi Felix,

On Mon May 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM CEST, Felix Lechner via wrote:
> Using Guix Home, how may I replace the official Guix channel in
> home-channels-service-type [1] please?

The way I interpret the docs, you can use `service' instead of
`simple-service' if you want to replace the default Guix channel.

(By "extending the service", the manual means `simple-service';
 by "directly configuring it", the manual means `service'.)

The following ought to do it:

  (service home-channels-service-type
           (list (channel (name 'my-guix) (url "...") (branch "...")
                          (introduction ...))))

I expect the note in the docs about using `simple-service' by default
is just meant to avoid misunderstanding, as users might not expect the
default Guix channel to disappear if they use `service' to configure
`home-channels-service-type'.

Cheers,
Timo