Re: Message by a novice

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: Message by a novice
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 07:52:51 -0700

Hi Piriponzolo,

On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 11:23 PM anguriamelone--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> I would like to know what are the basic command lines corresponding to those
> of
> Trisquel GNU-Linux below:

You already received a lot of quality advice, so I'll keep it brief:

Like many distributions, we nowadays have few users on i686. There is
vigorous opposition to dropping it however, and people are ready to
fix what is broken. The fix is then a 'guix pull' away.

Having come from Debian myself, I must point out that Guix is
radically different. Every computer, every user, and even every shell
has effectively a different "profile", by which we mean "purview of
installed files". Guix employs an ingenious combination of absolute
paths and symbolic links to achieve it.

The results are magical.

For example, the command 'guix install' will modify your user profile,
but that happens in an imperative way. I would instead recommend
managing that profile declaratively with Guix Home. You end up editing
a file like this [1] and run 'guix home reconfigure' on it.

Please ask all your questions here. Do not worry about burdening the
mailing list. We want to hear from you. You are also welcome to write
to me privately if needed. Thank you for trying Guix & welcome!

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] https://codeberg.org/lechner/home-config/src/branch/history/desk.scm