Re: How to enable server discovery in foreign distro?

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: How to enable server discovery in foreign distro?
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 23:51:07 -0400

On Friday, May 19, 2023 4:18:01 PM EDT Rodrigo Morales wrote:

>   The file
>   `/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/guix-daemon.service' was
>   a symbolic link to `/usr/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service' and,
>   for that reason, I ended up editing
>   `/usr/lib/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service'. I edited the line
>   containing `ExecStart' and added the IP address of my system from
>   which I wanted to retrieve the packages.

A cleaner way to do this is to run `sudo systemctl edit guix-daemon.service`.
It will open your editor to create a drop-in override file, in this case
/etc/systemd/system/guix-daemon.service.d/override.conf, with a commented-out
version of the base unit file included. You'll want to write something like
this:

```
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/usr/bin/guix-daemon \
    --build-users-group=_guixbuild \
    --discover=yes \
    --substitute-urls='https://bordeaux-us-east-mirror.cbaines.net
https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org https://ci.guix.gnu.org'
```

The most confusing part is that you need two ExecStart lines, one unsetting the
old value and one setting your new value.

Philip