Re: Alternatives to --emulate-fhs on foreign distros

From: Philip McGrath
Subject: Re: Alternatives to --emulate-fhs on foreign distros
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 00:32:33 -0400

On Friday, April 21, 2023 2:35:30 PM EDT Kyle wrote:
> Its kind of hard to test. The easiest I have managed has been to see that I
> don't get the error with --emulate-fhs in my call, and the script that
> fails starts with:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env txr
>
> To simplify things, I made a self contained txr script and wrapped that up
> in my test R package. Sure enough, after building the package I checked its
> store directory. Guix did not patch the path to the path to the env utility
> in that case.

Did you include txr as an input to your package? The 'patch-shebangs doesn't
patch in an absolute path to an env utility: it rewrites shebangs to use the
absolute path to the actual interpreter, in this case txr, and it only does so
if the interpreter is actually present at build time. (A package source might
contain scripts that aren't actually used, and they shouldn't create artificial
dependencies.)