Re: to save my Guix System installation

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: Re: to save my Guix System installation
Date: Wed, 24 May 2023 09:38:38 -0700

Hi Gottfried,

On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 9:16 AM Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> I am not planing to leave Guix.

Thank you for writing that. I am glad to read it.

> But with Guix I can’t use my Scanner
> and I need my scanner regularly
> so I have to install a second distro like GNUinOS and/or Trisquel
> on my laptop
> in order to scan documents.

You may have to spend 60 euros on a new scanner, but I believe we can
get something to work for you. My three scanners are fifteen years
old. All of them are supported by the SANE project. [1]

Please send me a private email with a summary of your findings to
date. (I faintly remember an earlier thread.) I scan all the time and
will walk you through it.

> I installed already GNUinOS, but since one year it is impossible to
> update anything,

I have not used GNUinOS, but in the regular distro universe—i.e.
without the GNU Shepherd—avoiding systemd for philosophical reasons or
because the principal author has a brisk personality will not make
your life any easier.

> so I got the advice from the Trisquel Forum to reinstall it.

Trisquel is potentially a good choice for you, as long as your
hardware does not require any proprietary firmware in order to
function safely and reliably. Unfortunately, that is a painful subject
and also off-limits for this list. In order to investigate your case,
please also send me the output for

  $ lspci
  $ lsusb
  $ cat /proc/cpuinfo

If you are not too queasy about privacy, you can also upload your
hardware details to this service [2] or perhaps just send the output
of 'hw-probe' [3] to me privately (probably without "--upload").

Kind regards
Felix

[1] http://sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html
[2] https://linux-hardware.org/?d=Guix