Cannot run virt-manager as my user

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Cannot run virt-manager as my user
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 22:35:32 -0400

Hi,

I am trying to set up virt-manager on my system in order to set up some
virtual machines. I added the libvirtd service to my system by adding
the following service to my system configuration:

```
(service libvirt-service-type)
```

and I've added myself to the libvirt group.

I can see the service running when I do:

```
robby@lambda ~$ sudo herd status libvirtd
Status of libvirtd:
  It is running since 10:34:29 PM (5 minutes ago).
  Running value is 256.
  It is enabled.
  Provides (libvirtd).
  Requires ().
  Will be respawned.
```

I can see the libvirt-sock file that I should be able to use:

```
robby@lambda ~$ groups
users libvirt netdev audio video dialout wheel
robby@lambda ~$ ll /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
srwxrwx--- 1 root libvirt 0 May 28 22:34 /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
```

But I cannot use virt-manager or virsh as my user. I see the following
behavior using virsh:

```
robby@lambda ~$ virsh -c qemu:///system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: internal error: Unable to get system bus connection: Could not connect:
No such file or directory
robby@lambda ~$ sudo virsh -c qemu:///system
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
       'quit' to quit

virsh #
```

So I can use virsh while running as root - but I should also be able to
use it when running as my user...

When I try to connect using virt-manager, I see the following similar error:

```
Unable to connect to libvirt qemu:///system.

internal error: Unable to get system bus connection: Could not connect: No such
file or directory

Libvirt URI is: qemu:///system

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/gnu/store/sa4wwfmvlrry69gyilhb961gpbbamayf-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py",
 line 923, in _do_open
    self._backend.open(cb, data)
  File
"/gnu/store/sa4wwfmvlrry69gyilhb961gpbbamayf-virt-manager-4.1.0/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py",
 line 171, in open
    conn = libvirt.openAuth(self._open_uri,
  File
"/gnu/store/nb6yaafwa44jqfg9s5fbr5nbsa46panm-python-libvirt-8.6.0/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py",
 line 147, in openAuth
    raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: Unable to get system bus
  connection: Could not connect: No such file or directory
```

Since this seems to be an issue relating to dbus, here are the following
services I have running related to that:

At a system level:
```
(service dbus-root-service-type)
(service elogind-service-type)
```

As my user:
```
(service home-dbus-service-type)
```

Maybe there is some conflict between running dbus as my user and as
root?

Any advice for getting virt-manager working would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Robby