Re: guix docker on gitlab-ci

From: wolf
Subject: Re: guix docker on gitlab-ci
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 19:35:11 +0200

On 2023-06-05 16:37:50 +0100, Graham Addis wrote:
> Hi Wolf,
>
> Not a particularly successful weekend...
>
> As --entry-point was used by other pack methods I thought the best
> option would be to add a --docker-entry-point just for the docker
> format and pass it into the build as an extra-option like for deb and
> rpm formats.
>
> However I couldn't work out how to pass in a list via the
> extra-options, so I'm a bit stuck.
>
> If there is anyone who knows their way around the pack scripts and can
> point me in the right direction, that would help, but other than that
> I'll probably get some more time next weekend.

I did not try to implement this, so my guess might be completely off, but
looking at how -S is implemented, I would suggest trying something like:

1. Introducing new %docker-format-options and friends (similar to already
   existing %deb-format-options and friends), providing the --entry-point-arg
   options, that would be specific to a docker format (although I am not sure if
   it needs to be specific, maybe some other formats support arguments as
   well?).
2. Writing entry-point-arg-spec-option-parser, while taking inspiration from
   symlink-spec-option-parser.  Yours would be much simpler, since you would be
   just accumulating values into a list.

As for the extra-options, I guess modifying current code (by adding the 'docker
option) into something like:

    (extra-options (match pack-format
                     ('deb
                      (list #:control-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'control-file)
                            #:postinst-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'postinst-file)
                            #:triggers-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'triggers-file)))
                     ('docker
                      (list #:entry-point-args
                            (process-file-arg opts 'entry-point-arg)))
                     ('rpm
                      (list #:relocatable? relocatable?
                            #:prein-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'prein-file)
                            #:postin-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'postin-file)
                            #:preun-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'preun-file)
                            #:postun-file
                            (process-file-arg opts 'postun-file)))
                     (_ '())))

could work?  build-docker-image already accepts a list as an #:entry-point, so
it should be just a matter of properly composing the list.

Not sure if this is helpful.

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.