Re: OBS Studio memory leak

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Re: OBS Studio memory leak
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 08:49:42 -0400

Ott Joon <ott.joon@tutanota.com> writes:

> Hey there
>
> I have the exact same issue and I think this has to do with
> gstreamer. Some other programs are also affected by this bug. What
> seems to happen is the gst-plugin-scanner starts searching for plugins
> and just doesn't finish and leaks memory a ton. My 128GB of RAM will
> be full in seconds if I launch anything that uses gstreamer. Even
> virt-manager if you have gst-plugin-* packages installed as then the
> gst-plugin-scanner is awakened. I had to remove them or unset
> GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH. Unfortunately OBS seems to have this feature
> built in, so it's not something you can remove. This is all I know at
> the moment.
>
> Ott

Hi Ott,

Thanks for the lead. I tried pinning gstreamer and gst-plugins-base to
older versions available in Guix, and removing gst-plugins-base from
being an input to OBS (though I'm not positive this removes it from all
recursive inputs), but I'm still having the issue :(

Here is what I have so far:

(let ((parent (specification->package "obs")))
  (package
   (inherit parent)
   (inputs (modify-inputs (package-inputs parent)
                          (replace "gstreamer"
                                   ((options->transformation '((with-version .
"gstreamer=1.20.3")))
                                    (specification->package "gstreamer")))
                          (replace "gst-plugins-base"
                                   ((options->transformation '((with-version .
"gst-plugins-base=1.20.3")))
                                    (specification->package
"gst-plugins-base")))))))

Also tried with (remove "gst-plugins-base") instead of the replace.

Robby