Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing

From: Jelle Licht
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 22:28:39 +0200

Hi Andy,

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, this is more a developer question:
>
> Guix patches are posted to guix-patches mailing list.   Is there any
> tool that makes it easy to download a particular patch series from the
> mailing list archive or the Guix issue web site so it is easy to apply
> a patch series to a local checkout of the guix git repo?
>
> This is to mainly easily test guix package definition patches.
>
> (There seems to be tool like b4 or patchworks for Linux kernel
> developers and their mailing lists but not sure if similar tools exist
> for GNU (or Guix specific) development mailing lists)

I know it was already mentioned, but some features were recently added
to piem (patch waiting over at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64155) to
integrate it with debbugs.el, the Emacs debbugs interface. This makes it
(IMHO) a fairly easy to apply some patches locally.

I have this set up with (something similar to) the following:
(setq piem-inboxes
      (("guix-patches"
        :coderepo ("/home/jlicht/Documents/guix")
        :url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches";
        :listid "guix-patches.gnu.org"
        :address "guix-patches@gnu.org"
        :gnu-package "guix-patches")))

(require 'piem)
(piem-gnus-mode 1)
(piem-debbugs-mode 1)

(require 'debbugs)
(defun debbugs-gnu-guix ()
  "List Guix issues."
  (interactive)
  (debbugs-gnu '("serious" "important" "normal") '("guix-patches") nil t))

With the configuration taken care of, just `M-x debbugs-gnu-guix',
navigate to any issue (just put point on an issue you are interested in)
and run `M-x piem-b4-am'. It should pull down all needed messages (from
yhetil's public inbox mirror), and use some heuristics to apply the most
recent patch revision, taking into account either 'git send-email' or
attachment-based patch series.

Hope this additional data point is useful.

- Jelle