Re: patch question: any tool to download patches from guix patch mailing

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:33:29 +0200

Hi!

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:

[...]

> I know it was already mentioned, but some features were recently added
> to piem (patch waiting over at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64155) to
> integrate it with debbugs.el,

great!  I missed it (v. 0.5.0 released few hours ago [1]); thank you for
the patch to the Guix package!

> the Emacs debbugs interface. This makes it
> (IMHO) a fairly easy to apply some patches locally.
>
> I have this set up with (something similar to) the following:
> (setq piem-inboxes
>       (("guix-patches"
>         :coderepo ("/home/jlicht/Documents/guix")
>       :url "https://yhetil.org/guix-patches";
>       :listid "guix-patches.gnu.org"
>       :address "guix-patches@gnu.org"
>       :gnu-package "guix-patches")))
>
> (require 'piem)
> (piem-gnus-mode 1)
> (piem-debbugs-mode 1)
>
> (require 'debbugs)
> (defun debbugs-gnu-guix ()
>   "List Guix issues."
>   (interactive)
>   (debbugs-gnu '("serious" "important" "normal") '("guix-patches") nil t))
>
> With the configuration taken care of, just `M-x debbugs-gnu-guix',
> navigate to any issue (just put point on an issue you are interested in)
> and run `M-x piem-b4-am'. It should pull down all needed messages (from
> yhetil's public inbox mirror), and use some heuristics to apply the most
> recent patch revision, taking into account either 'git send-email' or
> attachment-based patch series.

Thank you for the explanation, it's very valuable since this new feature
is not well documented on the pien online manual at
https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/
(e.g. https://docs.kyleam.com/piem/Lisp-Function-Index.html mentions
piem-debbugs-mode but no other documentation is found)

[...]

Happy hacking! Gio'

[1] https://git.kyleam.com/piem/tree/Documentation/RelNotes/0.5.0.txt

--