Re: Getting Guix to shutdown my laptop properly with Sway and no DE

From: Robby Zambito
Subject: Re: Getting Guix to shutdown my laptop properly with Sway and no DE
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 22:44:29 -0400

danclm@tutanota.com writes:

> Hi Robby,
> thanks for your response.
>
> Do you mind sharing your config?
> I never managed on Guix to autologin and automatically start Sway without a
> display manager.
>
> Daniele

Hi Daniele,

I actually don't have auto login / auto start Sway - I just login with a
TTY, and then I use `herd start sway` with a little guix home service
that I wrote:

(shepherd-service
  (documentation "SwayWM")
  (provision '(sway))
  (requirement '(dbus))
  (respawn? #f)
  (auto-start? #f)
  (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
            (list #$(file-append (specification->package "dbus")
"/bin/dbus-run-session") "sway")
            #:log-file (string-append #$log-dir "/swaywm.log")))
  (stop #~(make-system-destructor
           (string-join (list #$(file-append (specification->package "sway")
"/bin/swaymsg")
                              "exit")))))

This isn't perfect (I use the system sway binary, but I use swaymsg from
my home profile - which means they can be different package version; and
herd stop sway doesn't work), but it's been good enough for me to not
care to fix.