System-wide config

From: Etienne B. Roesch
Subject: System-wide config
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 09:20:35 +0100

Hi,

I am working my way through our IT department to convince them to provide guix
as a service to our researchers. Specifically, we provide vms as a service and
we also have a shared slurm resource. One question I haven’t managed to answer
fully is about system-wide configurations. We currently use puppet to pull
configs on the fly and various scripts to turn on or off services. (Our IT dept
is really paranoid with security)

What is the recommended way to do this with guix system?
Does guix system play nicely with packages installed outside of guix?
Intuitively, I’d think it can be a recipe for disaster.

The alternative of simply using guix on a host debian is appealing, of course.

Have an amazing week!

Etienne

—
Prof. dr. Etienne B. Roesch   |   Professor of Applied Statistics & Cognitive
Science   |   Univ. Reading
Institutional Lead for Open and Reproducible Research, UK Reproducibility
Network
Discipline Hopping Fellow, Natural Environment Research Council

student hours:   book yourself in my University Outlook calendar
<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/MeetwithDrEtienneRoesch@livereadingac.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/>
www:  etienneroes.ch <http://etienneroes.ch/>   |   osf.io/ede88
<https://osf.io/ede88>   |   github.com/eroesch <https://github.com/eroesch>
<https://eroesch.threadless.com/>