Re: python package managers: which works on Guix

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: python package managers: which works on Guix
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 20:06:02 +0200

> Hi, a general question: Python-native package managers like conda and
> poetry both do not work (or build) on Guix now (I mean the packaged
> versions of these in Guix).  Curious if any Python package manager
> works on top of Guix at this time?  Thanks.

Pip does work. And if you apply my patches from [1] and build Guix from
source using these, then pipx is also available and works ;)

Also, I'd recommend against using conda — its client application is
libre software but its repository server and the packaging of software
there is proprietary (or at least used to be when I last read about it)

Best,
Wojtek

[1] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/64869

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A
follow me on Fediverse: https://friendica.me/profile/koszko/profile

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)