networking service problem with static address

From: Marco van Hulten
Subject: networking service problem with static address
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2023 21:08:14 +0200

Hi all,

Sometimes my ethernet interface was not configured at boot.  I do not
know where the problem lies, but I decided to try a static address:

                   (service static-networking-service-type
                            (list (static-networking
                                    (addresses
                                      (list (network-address
                                              (device "enp0s25")
                                              (value "192.168.0.7/16"))))
                                    (routes
                                      (list (network-route
                                              (destination "default")
                                              (gateway "192.168.0.11"))))
                                    (name-servers '("192.168.0.11")))))

Before this, I used dynamic:

                   (service dhcp-client-service-type)

With a static address the interface always comes up configured, at least
so far. (So, at some time, I should check cabling, the DHCP daemon &c.)

But now cups does not always start at boot, so I try to restart:

root@graviton ~# herd start cups
Exception caught while starting networking: (%exception
#<&netlink-response-error errno: 17>)
Service cups depends on networking.
herd: error: failed to start service cups
root@graviton ~# herd start networking
herd: error: exception caught while executing 'start' on service 'networking':
Throw to key `%exception' with args `("#<&netlink-response-error errno: 17>")'.

Should 'networking' not be running when using a static IP?

As another work-around, could I tell the system that cups does not need
the 'networking' dependency?

Here is my cups service config; this is unchanged.

                  (service cups-service-type
                            (cups-configuration
                              (web-interface? #t)
                              (extensions