Re: Using ibus input methods in Emacs GTK+

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Using ibus input methods in Emacs GTK+
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 14:04:31 +0000

Hi 宋文武,

El 7/08/23 a las 10:12, 宋文武 escribió:
Luis Felipe <sirgazil@zoho.com> writes:

Hello,

I upgraded my Guix system (currently on 17fadbb) and now I can type
Japanese again (thanks, 宋文武). However, ibus input methods are
working everywhere (GTK, GTK+, Qt) except in Emacs GTK+, which is
unexpected because typing Japanese in Emacs used to just work before.
My current workaround is to start "emacs -nw" in a GNOME Console and
then I can use ibus in it.

I thought that maybe something in Emacs 28.x had changed, but trying
on a Debian 12 machine, I can use ibus normally in Emacs GTK+ without
configuring anything.

If you're able to type Japanese (or use ibus input methods in general)
in Emacs GTK+, did you have to do anything special?

Well, Emacs use XIM, so you need set 'XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus' and run
ibus-daemon with the "--xim" / "-x" argument.

Hope this helps!

Yep, I had the variable set already but was running the daemon without -x. Problem solved.

Thanks again :)