Re: Gdm not recognizing window manager

From: Mario Forzanini
Subject: Re: Gdm not recognizing window manager
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 02:05:43 +0200

On 8/7/23 15:15, Patrick Pippen wrote:
Greetings I just installed GUIX 1.4.0 over the weekend with XFCE. Then I
installed Bspwm and sxhkd. Then I created a .xsession  file with only this
content: exec bspwm

Restarted laptop tried logging in and it only goes back to login screen. My
question is with gdm how do I get gdm to allow me to choose between XFCE and
Bspwm?

Hi,
I think I had a similar problem some time ago, the trick that made it work for me was making sure that the .xsession file was executable, i.e.

$ chmod +x $HOME/.xsession

Anyway, if you install the window manager in the system config, an xsession file should be installed along with the package in a place where GDM can find it, at least this is what other window managers do. Once you've done that you should see BSPWM appear among the login options.

Hope this helps!
--
Mario