Re: Problem with Shepherd after `guix home reconfigure`

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR
Subject: Re: Problem with Shepherd after `guix home reconfigure`
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:56:41 +0200

Hi Hilton,

Quoting Hilton Chain (2023-08-22 17:18:15)
> If you happen to use the system mcron service as well, please pull to
> the latest commit again, my bad :(

Done!
Reboot and…

> > ```
> > $ guix home reconfigure
> > # […]
> > herd: error: exception caught while executing 'load' on service 'root':
> > In procedure fport_write: Input/output error
> > ```
> >
> > I've just tried something that, as weird as it sounds, I had never done
> > before:
> > `herd stop mcron`! And… it just hangs forever!? I guess it not the
> > expected behaviour?! 🤔
> > I `ctrl+c`-ed it and, now, `herd status` also hangs forever!? 😞
> > I'll see if everything goes back to normal after the next reboot…
>
> I don't know much about Shepherd but rebooting seems to be the only
> solution when it hangs...

I now have a slightly different error message:

```
$ guix home reconfigure
# […]
SSLoading /gnu/store/zbfyaxxigns5lqyxhxzxhm92w54ns1cz-shepherd.conf.
herd: error: exception caught while executing 'load' on service 'root':
In procedure fport_write: Broken pipe
```

```
# herd status
Started:
 + root
Starting:
 ^ mcron
 ^ mpd
Stopped:
 - tor
 - transmission
```

I usually have:

```
# herd status
Started:
 + mcron
 + mpd
 + root
Stopped:
 - tor
 - transmission
```

Even though `mpd` is reported as "starting" it actually works.
`herd stop mcron` still hangs forever, but `herd status` keeps on
working and reporting "starting" services.

Thoughts? 🤔

--
Tanguy